When the winter arrives, a gas heater can keep the temperature in your home at a pleasant level. However, many people often get confused about whether they can leave a gas heater on overnight or not? You should turn off your gas heater before going to bed. Sometimes, gas leakage can lead to serious gas heater problems. If you use a gas heater in an airtight room, it is necessary to turn off your gas heater, otherwise, it may cause serious disorders from suffocation to death in extreme situations.
Let’s take a look at how a gas heater could be dangerous if left turned on overnight.
What makes it so dangerous?
A gas heater emits carbon monoxide which can lead to several health problems. When you turn on the heater overnight, the levels of toxic carbon monoxide could exceed the safe level. As a result, you may experience suffocation, chest pain, headaches and other problems. Most importantly, people with heart-related diseases are at great risk. For this reason, the situation needs to be addressed to keep everyone safe in your home.
Sleeping with a gas heater on can increase the risk of asphyxia, commonly known as sleep death. Excessive carbon monoxide levels are dangerous. It is recommended to use a carbon monoxide detector in your home, which will alert you to turn off your gas heater as soon as the toxic gas levels are about to go beyond the safe level.
Dry Skin and Allergy
Gas heaters can also lead to dry skin and allergies. It can use irritation in your eyes. Many people often overlook the consequences of sleeping with a gas heater on. Do you experience redness, itchiness, and allergies? You may just need to turn off your heater before going to sleep. Moreover, professional gas heater service can help fix your heater if there is any leakage. At Quick Air, we provide cost-effective solutions to maintain the desired level of moisture in your room.
As discussed before, leaving your gas heater on overnight can cause asphyxia, which is sleep death. Due to gas leakage, many people have died during sleep. The absence of oxygen and excessive carbon monoxide in a room can also lead to sleep death.
A faulty gas heater
You should never leave your gas heater on while sleeping, especially if it is a faulty gas heater. There are several health problems caused by a faulty gas heater. For instance, it can increase the carbon monoxide levels in your room. Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas that you do not notice in your room. The best way to detect it is to install a detector that can detect carbon monoxide levels. People with heart diseases, children, pregnant women, and older people are at great risk of several diseases caused by a faulty gas heater.
Let’s take a look at some of the major symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Shortness of breath
- Chest pain
If you suspect any of these or other symptoms, see a doctor and hire a professional gas heater technician from Quick Air to fix the issue as soon as possible. Just give us a call at 1300 730 896.